Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Hello, It's Me...

My client called me early Sunday evening to let me know her water had broken.  I excitedly packed my doula snacks and hit the sack early, expecting to be called into work sometime during the night.  Then came Monday morning, Tuesday morning, Wednesday morning, still no calls.

Back in the beginning of my career women were literally given 12-24 hours to give birth after their water had broken.  So if contractions didn't start right away, pitocin did.  Now some providers are allowing their clients up to 72 hours to be in active labor.  Research shows us that allowing the body to start labor on its own yields better results for moms and babies, but 72 hours can feel like a long time to wait, especially when you're leaking water!

But this mom didn't complain, and she continued to have faith in her body.  And it totally paid off with a quick and safe delivery!  I was called to join her around 11:30 and I made it out to her apartment around 12:30.  The snow was falling (which I love!) and Adele was serenading me on my drive, and I just knew it was going to be a great day.  

When I arrived contractions were about 6-7 minutes apart and lasting less than a minute.  I could tell mom was still in early labor, but about to cross the threshold into active labor.  Knowing this typically lasts hours in first time moms, her husband and mother-in-law set out to run a few last minute errands.  After a little while, mom began to worry because her baby wasn't moving much so she and I headed down to the birth center for a quick assessment.   

 No one likes driving while in labor, and I could tell that active labor was really starting to kick in.  We arrived at 2:30 and by 3:00 mom was already dilated to 7 cm!  I couldn't believe it!  Didn't active labor just start?!  We called dad and told him to head over ASAP!

Mom found relief in the tub, and by 3:30 dad had arrived and began providing awesome physical and emotional support. I could really see how much he loves his wife.

At 4:15 the urge to push started, but it wasn't full blown yet.  It steadily increased over time.  I was so impressed with how much control she had during pushing, especially during crowning!

Less than an hour later this little "Hazelnut" slipped into her mother's arms.

This is the tiniest babe I have ever seen.  But she makes up for it in cuteness!  

Hazel Belle
Born Wednesday, Dec. 16th, 5:11 pm
4 pounds 11.5 ounces
So tiny and adorable!

Shortly after the birth, mom compared her experience to a marathon. While you're doing it, you wonder why the heck you ever thought it was a good idea!  But when it's done, you feel so good!  

I can't imagine a better way to start celebrating the holidays!  Today was pure magic.

No comments:

Post a Comment