Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Gaskin Maneuver

I received a text from my client at 9:00 this morning, telling me her contractions were 10 minutes apart.  She also said she had a 10:30 appointment with the midwife, and would touch base with me afterwards.  So I went about my morning, assuming I would hear from her around 11:00.

An hour later I got a text from the midwife.  
All it said was "She's 8 cm"

I immediately called my husband, who is not only the most supportive person alive (how can you not be if you're married to a doula?!), but also works very close to home.  I yelled "Meet me at home in 5 minutes!"  I flew out the driveway the second he got home, knowing I could easily miss this birth since it was baby #6 for this awesome mama!

I arrived to find mom in the tub, holding hands with her sweet husband.  The room was so quiet and peaceful.  I could tell she was just about to start pushing.  The urge was there, but it was mild.  


I thought for sure that baby would just slide right out.  But after about 20 minutes, the urge to push was still weak.  Mom struggled to find energy, and asked her husband to pray for her.  I turned on some music to help her focus and gain energy.


I just loved how this couple held hands the entire time I was there.  And how can you not be impressed when a woman can still fit into her wedding ring at 9 months pregnant?!


After alot of pushing in the tub, the midwife suggested we try something different.  Mom climbed into the bed and began pushing in a hands and knees position.  It helped, but it wasn't enough.  What was enough was the Gaskin Maneuver, where mom brings one leg in front.  It still took alot of effort, but this mom was able to do it!


At 11:40 am, March 2nd 2016, 
Thiago was delivered into his mother's arms.




I love seeing moms filled with so much love for their babies.  
Her face says it all in these photos!



This little cutie nursed right away.  
And with 5 older siblings wanting to hold him, mom might only get him when he's hungry!

No comments:

Post a Comment